You know that feeling? You’re going along just fine through your day and boom you’re ready for your pillow and a nice long siesta.
But that’s not always possible and some days you just have to keep doing. Now there are underlying health problems that the afternoon sleepy’s can be a sign of so if persistent, go get that check up and make sure it’s not the onset of diabetes or something similar. Don’t play with your health like that. Even the most seasoned athlete or the someone with nutrition on point can get seriously ill.
But if you’re like me and just get that occasional need to nod off in the afternoon, but can’t keep reading!
Since I have this problem on and off and don’t have diabetes or any other health issues. I knew there were three ways to combat it.
- Nap. Now that’s ok, when and if you can. But I’m a terrible napper. It only tends to make me sleepier and I’ve tried all different lengths of time for that nap. I’ve even tried the 10 minute power snooze and that works but isn’t always an option.
- Eat something
- Exercise in some way
So I took some time and compiled a list of afternoon snooze breakers. I would love if you have any other ideas to drop a comment. It would help me and any other afternoon sleepy heads to get through the slumpy part of the day!
Snacks To Stave Off The Afternoon Snooze – They need to be low calorie, nutritional and made to give you that energy boost you need in the late afternoon. But you don’t want to overdo it or you won’t eat your dinner at a decent time.
- A handful of raw unsalted nuts or homemade trail mix – the protein, fiber, and fat is a perfect snack combination
- 1 or 2 cups of mixed raw veggie sticks and 2 tbsp of hummus or tahini
- ¼ avocado, and tomato on a piece of sprouted bread
- ½ cup coconut yogurt with 1 tbsp nut butter, cinnamon, and ½ apple, sliced, OR with 2 tbsp mixed nuts, seeds, and berries
- Green juice – cucumber, kale, spinach, parsley, celery, lemon ginger,and cilantro or similar greens
- Eat a banana or half a grapefruit
- Smoothie – unsweetened coconut milk, ½ banana, 1 tbsp almond butter, protein powder, vanilla, cinnamon, maca powder/cacao powder, and ice or something similar
- One apple with a tbsp of nut butter
- Air popped popcorn with little sea salt and olive oil or coconut oil and a handful of nuts/seeds
- Chopped fruit salad with fresh mint and some almonds
- Banana “nice cream” (peel a banana, freeze, blend in a food processor with one teaspoon or Raw Cacao powder and one tablespoon of Organic Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
- Dates stuffed with almond butter
- A bowl of steamed veggies
- Sip some green tea
- A few pieces of good quality DARK chocolate
Activities To Stave Off The Afternoon Snooze – MOVE around
- Work out for 15 minutes or more
- Step away from the computer or any blue screen device. Take a 5 or ten minute eye break and get up and move around
- Eat your lunch outside and NO caffeine
- Aromatherapy peppermint oil, wear it, or use it in an oil diffuser
- Buy a rosemary plant ( don’t let the pets eat it, they will get a sick tummy)
- Turn on and up some music and dance a little
- Go for a short run after lunch
- Stand up and walk around the room
- Drink enough water through the day to stay hydrated. Dehydration can cause drowsiness
- Go outside and get some fresh air
- Stretch it out
- Use a small fan. Office space can be stuffy with little air circulation.
Any tips for me, drop em below…