Third Quarter Moon = Awareness/Release
During this Third and Last Quarter, release negative energy or anything else that isn’t bringing you happiness. Continue the work from last phase. A time to release yourself of everything that is causing obstruction, and to get rid of anything or anyone you know longer need in your life. Still a time for self analysis and introspection, rest and recouping lost energies, meditation and preparing for the next New Moon. The last of the three moon phases before the next New Moon bring illumination to the influences of the entire lunar cycle.
Third Quarter Moon Crystal Of Choice
Third Quarter Moon Intentions
- Time to break bad habits.
- Finish to-do lists.
- Where have you been, what have you done?
- Where are you going and what will you do when you get there?
- Give back but not at the expense of yourself.
- Make small adjustments where needed.
- Connect with the natural world and let your awareness be drawn to the divine beauty of life cycles and timelines.
- Honest communications.
Third Quarter Moon Mantra
Your personal mantra is as individual as you are. Whatever mantra YOU choose is for you at this moment. You can have multiple mantras written and ready, however when meditating with the mantra, it is important to repeat only one at a time in order to focus your energy towards one thing at a time instead of smaller efforts towards multiple goals.
Mantra Writting Directions
- Sit somewhere comfortable.
- Take a moment to ground in the physical body. Really allow your awareness to totally fill the entire physical body. Just breathe in the stillness for a moment or two.
- Now, take a 1/2 hour spent alone journaling about what you want. It can be a simple word that has a positive meaning and feeling for you. Or a short sentence, don’t stress over it, it’s your mantra, and there is no judgement.
- Refine what speaks to you at this moment, as the most important thing to focus on.
- Write down what comes to mind as a statement.
- Now find a quite, undisturbed place to sit and mediate and contemplate on your personal mantra. Be comfortable.
- I want you to say it to yourself in your mind as you breathe in and repeat it each time you breathe out.
- Just stay with it. If you get distracted that’s okay. Just come back to your mantra, repeat it as you breathe in. Repeat it as you breathe out. You don’t have to speak it out loud, you can just think it, softly as you breathe — as the breath breathes you.
- For any given period of meditation or mantra meditation, it can take a little while to settle in. So as you notice any discomfort in the body and thoughts in the mind, just recognize that that’s content that the body and mind are in the process of letting go of. They’re not problems. You’re just releasing.
- Stay with the breath. On the in-breath saying your mantra in your mind or out loud. And on the out-breath, repeating the same. Just allow your attention to be rapt in this moment. Allow yourself to become curious, and fascinated by this experience.
- As thoughts come up in awareness, just let them come and go without judgement. Not making a problem of them, just staying with your focus. Letting the breath breathe you. Letting the breath and letting the mantra just flow through you.
- Go ahead and let that go and just allow yourself to do nothing in this moment but be with your mantra. If awareness wants to expand you can let it expand. If awareness becomes focused on this or that, you can just allow it to focus. Awareness opening and focusing is as natural as the movement of the in-breath and the out-breath. You don’t have to exert any control or any effort. Just do nothing for another moment. Whatever happens happens. If you catch yourself trying to do something you can just let it go.
- Give yourself a moment to slowly open your eyes. You can give your fingers and toes a wiggle to start gently moving your body back to the here and now, opening up your awareness to the space around you and enjoying this moment of stillness — immerse yourself in this awareness, the light of mind that is always available.
- Allow about 10-20 minutes daily quiet time sitting to repeat your Mantra.
Third Quarter Moon Meditation
Find a comfortable position and facing the West, the direction most associated with the Last Quarter Moon. Breathe slowly and deeply for a few minutes, enjoying the sensation of your every breath moving in and out of your body. Take a moment to ensure you are comfortable and then begin the visualization.
It’s late autumn at sunset as you make you way through an orchard field with fruit trees and you move towards a tree, what will become your tree. You see that many of the now brightly colored leaves have already fallen and the remaining fruits are now rotting on the ground. You can smell the sweet scent of decay and as you push aside the thick leaf litter you see that the soil beneath is rich and dark brown.
As you move closer to your tree, you see it has an opening large enough to fit through with ease, Entering into the tree now you feel your energy moving steadily downward, towards the soil. Consciously imagine a ray of energy, a warm beam of light energy coming down through the top of your head, this is your crown chakra. Feel the sensation of the energy moving from the top of your head down through your body and into the Earth. Feel any disease or stress draining out of your body and into the Earth. Feel yourself being cleansed as all that no longer serves you is flushed away.
Return now to your body and reflect on what you have accomplished this month. Allow any regrets, judgement or blame of yourself or others to arise, and then let them flow away. Acknowledge that all you have achieved has been in collaboration with the energies of the universe. Let pride and ego slip away, remembering that in reality you are a conduit for a power greater than yourself.
When you are ready slowly open your eyes. Be present with your surroundings as you gradually return to your daily life.
Third Quarter Moon Magic
Time for magical intention: From midnight until noon
A time of transitions and change, to avoid temptations. A remover of obstacles.
Smooth Transition Intention Spell
Stand in the kitchen in your bare feet.
Visualize the Earth’s energy flowing up and into you and affirm:
I am grounded and level.
I am strong and stable.
Breathe deeply, intoning:
I am inspired, thought-filled, and light.
Run water into a tea kettle or coffee pot.
Welcome the energy of Water by saying:
Like this water, I flow easily, fluid and clear.
As the water heats, harness the power of Fire by saying:
I am purified, cleansed, and filled with passion.
When your tea or coffee is ready, pour a cup and breathe in the aroma.
Welcome the energy of Air and the blend of elements while saying:
With these elements I face the day with ease and grace.
Step outside either with bare feet,
or sit down upon the ground, touch the grass or dirt,
and welcome the grounding energy of earth below you
as you have moved full circle bringing together all the elements.
So be it
(Amen, So mote it be, A’ho, etc…)
Now drink deeply.
*Inspired by: Llewellyn