🍉National Watermelon Day🍉
Thursday, Aug. 3
🍉watermelon and heirloom tomato salad
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped basil (or mint, chives, or parsley)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 medium seedless watermelon rind removed, cut into 2-inch triangles
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 cup yellow cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 medium red onion sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese about ½ oz.
Combine oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper in small bowl; whisk to blend. Set aside.
Arrange arugula, watermelon, heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and onion on a large serving platter.
Drizzle evenly with dressing.
Top evenly with cheese.
🍉grilled watermelon wedges
- ¼ medium watermelon rind washed, cut into 1¼-inch thick wedges
- 1 tsp sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 2 tsp olive oil
Place cookie (or baking) rack over baking pan. Season watermelon with salt. Place on prepared rack. Let watermelon drain for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
Preheat grill or broiler on high.
Lightly brush watermelon with oil.
Grill (or broil) for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until grill marks appear and watermelon softens slightly.
🍉watermelon and tomato gazpatcho
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- ½ medium cucumber chopped
- 1 medium shallot chopped
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley (reserve a small amount for garnish)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Thinly sliced carrots (for garnish; optional)
- Thinly sliced radishes (for garnish; optional)
Place tomato, watermelon, cucumber, and shallot in blender; cover. Pulse until chunky.
Add vinegar, oil, basil, parsley, and salt; pulse until chunky.
Remove ⅓ of tomato mixture; place in medium serving bowl.
Blend remaining tomato mixture until smooth. Add to serving bowl; mix well.
Divide into 4 serving bowls. Garnish with carrots, radishes, and parlsey if desired.
🍉watermelon strawberry surprise shakeology
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup diced watermelon
- 1 scoop Strawberry Shakeology
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup ice
Place water, watermelon, Shakeology, mint, and ice in blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
More recipes continued….here
🍉10 fun facts about watermelon
1. Watermelon is 92% water.
2. Early explorers used watermelons as canteens.
3. The word “watermelon” first appeared in the English dictionary in 1615.
4. A watermelon takes about 90 days to grow, from planting to harvesting.
5. You can eat watermelon rind. Here are three ways to enjoy the green part!
6. The first cookbook published in the U.S. in 1796 was titled American Cookery and contained a recipe for watermelon rind pickles.
7. The first recorded watermelon harvest occurred nearly 5,000 years ago in Egypt and is depicted in Egyptian hieroglyphics on walls of their ancient buildings. Watermelons were often placed in the burial tombs of kings to nourish them in the afterlife.
8. According to Guinness World Records, the world’s heaviest watermelon was grown by Chris Kent of Sevierville, Tennessee in 2013, weighing in at 350.5 lbs.
9. More than 300 varieties of watermelon are cultivated in the United States and South America. The most common watermelon options are seeded, seedless, mini and yellow & orange.
10. The United States currently ranks 6th in worldwide production of watermelon, with Florida, Texas, California, Georgia and Indiana consistently in the lead.